Device Control of BlackMagic Video Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Device Control of BlackMagic Video Server

I have a client who wants to run transitions off a Blackmagic video server. I've built Carbonite device control for XPression and ProVideoServer (AMP Protocol) through Carbonite. I've never even seen a Blackmagic device, but I've heard it connects via RossTalk. Is there any information regarding device control, and then Custom Control setup of a BlackMagic video server.

Is it similar with respect to XPression and AMP where the connection is established via a designated Carbonite port through IP over the same ethernet network? Then one must establish listening in the device (Blackmagic) to that designated port?

As far as Custom Controls, I've built transitions where the animation was recalled from XPression (via assigned number) through RossTalk. Is the process similar with with Blackmagic, or do I need to use the RossTalk (Generic) option and work with commands? Any information with respect to this would be enormously appreciated, as these forums have helped me numerous times. Again, this is more specifically tailored toward the execution of transitions stored on the Blackmagic video server.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Ryan -- Yes if you want to control it directly you would need to use the Generic Version. They use the Custom Type in Command ability that was added in version 13 with the Generic Type. These commands can only be entered via DashBoard Custom Control Editor -- makes sense since using knobs to "type" in commands would take forever :0)

Okay -- So the BMD devices usually have manuals that list the commands.....That said for the older generation we did make a DashBoard U video that shows you how to do this with examples.

https://www.rossvideo.com/gallery/cu...ign-hyperdeck/

obviously you could now send those commands direct from the Carbonite....

Comment

Thanks Les, appreciate the help.

Just to clarify, do I need to set up the BMD to listen to that specific Carbonite port designated for Generic Rosstalk like I would for an AMP device? Or do I need to just set the BMD to remote mode as shown in the video?

And as long as it's a newer BMD I should be able to find a list of written commands to call up an animation and trigger it to play. Similar to how you'd set up a transition that's stored in the Carbonite's internal Media Storage.

And just wondering, in the Generic Rosstalk CC menu it has selections for GPI and Custom Control triggers. Those first two selections, is that for the configured external device to send back a signal to Carbonite and trigger either a GPI or Custom Control?

Comment

I don't know what the port is on the BMD -- that would be in it's manual. You can assign the port when setting up the device in the options menu section.

Yes -- Cue the Clip -Pause x Frames-- Play the Clip - Pause x Frames- Cut the Key on Air -- Pause x Frames -- Cut on ME (or trans type that works best with animations) -- Pause x frames -- Cut the Key off.... Done.

No -- those items are for sending to another Switcher or Mosaic....ie you could tell another switcher to RUN CC. The Carbonite always has a RossTalk IN running on it's port 7788 as a server. There is a whole list of commands in the RossTalk Device manual that you can send to it.

Comment

The Hyperdeck protocol uses TCP port 9993.

Comment

perfect, thank you joseph

Comment

Just this past weekend I successfully executed this exact scenario -- used a Black Magic HyperDeck Studio Mini as a TD / switcher-controlled animation playout device on a live show.

The HyperDeck's manual has a complete list of all text-based commands.

The advice given above is spot-on. Add a device on your Carbonite using the RossTalk Generic protocol. The HyperDeck listens for commands on TCP port 9993. I added my HyperDeck as Device 1.

My custom control looked like this:

RossTalk command to Device 1 -- goto: clip id: 1
              RossTalk command to Device 1 -- play: single clip: true
              insert key on appropriate keyer
              pause 30 frames
              M/E-2 cut
              pause 30 frames
              lose key on appropriate keyer

For backgrounds, 2-boxes, or any other looping animations, my play command looked like this:
              play: single clip: true loop: true

The HyperDeck command protocol allows for stacking of commands, per the manual.

Good luck! I initially worked on this project as an intellectual exercise, but seeing how easy it is to send generic commands from the Carbonite (and Dashboard, but that's a whole other project), my HyperDeck Studio Mini is now a real option as a low-budget SpotBox / TD's DDR substitute on small shows.
              Last edited by steve.meyer; 02-12-2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X